Visiting wound care at LDS hospital today to see Martha, my stoma nurse to get some help with my stoma. Last night I decided it was time to change the barrier on my stoma and discovered that I had developed a mucocutaneous separation. In other words the skin had separated from my stoma leaving a gaping wound almost all the way around it! It alarmed me and really freaked Adam out, he was ready to put me in the car and drive me back to the hospital! I pouched it back up the best I could and called my surgeon's office. I reached the on-call doctor who said it happens sometimes and he didn't think there was anything to do surgically, that it would heal on its own. He said pouching it would be a little difficult in the meantime though. I wasn't in pain and although it looked bad, it was clear it wasn't an emergency. After telling my sweet husband I wasn't going anywhere, I sent a message and a picture to my stoma nurse because I knew she was going to be the one to help me, and I went to bed for the night. She called me in the morning after getting my message and reassured me it would indeed heal on its own. I still wanted her help to show me how to take care of it. And that she did! It wasn't a trip I wanted to take today, but I'm so glad I could go and get her help!
No comments:
Post a Comment