Sunday, January 09, 2011

Bentley's First Talk

Bentley just became a Sunbeam. Her very first week she volunteered to give a talk. Of course she did. My children are so good at that. Aspen did the same thing her first week as a Sunbeam. I wish I had a picture of Bentley waiting to give her talk, that's the image I'll forever keep in my mind and my heart. She sat in front of the primary in the seat marked with a blue chair cover that said "talk". Her scripture bag was hung over one shoulder while she firmly grasped a manila folder containing her talk. She also insisted on wearing the reminder band she had been given when she volunteered. At one point, earlier during church, I put the band in my bag because it had fallen off Bentley's wrist. She remembered as she sat waiting to give her talk and hurried to where I was sitting in the front row (substituting for the other Sunbeam class) and quickly dug it out of my bag, slipping it over her hand. When it was her turn, she headed to the pulpit, but stopped before stepping up to the microphone to tell me she could do it all by herself. Before I could say anything she thought otherwise and told me I could help her. I had to smile. Bentley recited the words to "Scripture Power" as I whispered them in her ear and held up pictures to go along with the song. She did a great job and wasn't even embarrassed that the primary had sung that exact same song to open sharing time. In fact, I think was anticipating her turn so much that she wasn't even aware of the opening song. I can't believe what a big girl she has become recently, and how much she wants to do on her own. We love our Sunbeam! We are so proud of you, Bentley!

No comments: